Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wanna go for a spin?

I was afraid this could happen. I was certain that if I pretended it didn't exist that I could be perfectly happy in my own little knitting corner of the world.

Then Gwen the Enabler asked me to come over under the guise of watching her and her pals dye yarn. Innocent fun. I stopped by. She sat me down in front of this and told me to take it for a spin. I was entranced. It was pure magic. The wheel hummed, the world stopped spinning, and all that existed was the wheel, me, my inadequate hands, and some lovely roving. I left her house trying to shake the feeling. I thought if I didn't think about it that the feeling would go away. Gwen the Enabler had tricked me. She not only saw me as a spinner, but she sat me down at one of the finest wheels known to man.

A couple of months passed. When I saw Gwen the Enabler she would smile knowingly. She could see the denial in my eyes, but she could also see the truth. I was hooked. I was a spinner. I was a fleece junkie and didn't even know it.

I went by her house one day after knitting up a swatch of her homespun bamboo. Just by coincidence, her friend Donna was there. They told me I should meet Victoria. They said Victoria was portable, wouldn't cost me six hundred million dollars, and could not easily be made pirate ship by Knitting Mother's sons.


Sure enough, I met Victoria last Tuesday. I love Victoria. There is a Victoria in my immediate future.

I'm scared.

No comments: