Saturday, July 14, 2007

When it's not about me, it's about my knitting...

Okay, so I've been thinking about starting a knit blog for a while. I've been feeling guilty about reading everyone else's knitting blogs but not participating. Then I start to wonder what I've got that's worth sharing...but truth be known, don't we ALL want to share our finished products with the entire world? Admit it: you even wanted to share your very first knitted scarf, which in my case closely resembled Gumby except in black fun fur and some other crap yarn from discount store USA. That's another post for another day...entitled something like Why You Should Never Knit Your First Project at Book Club with Black Yarn While Drinking Wine.

I've been doing lots of fun stuff. I'm in the middle of my first toe-up sock done in Reggia bamboo which is so very much fun to work with. This colorway is so fun, and I love that I never could've guessed what it would look like until I started. OH and while you admire the colors I have to brag that I took this picture under my very own OTT lamp which I got for my half birthday (another story for another day). Let me just say that the OTT lamp has changed my life.

As for the toe-up sock technique, the jury is still out. I like it but I haven't gotten to the heel yet. I took a class to make this sock, and the instructor's pattern calls for a short-row heel, while this knitter has long been a subscriber to the heel flap. Should I bite off and do a short-row heal or dig around and find a toe-up pattern with a heel flap? Anyone? Anyone?

In other projects, I just finished some lovely Jitterbug socks. This was my first project knit under my OTT lamp, and I found myself mesmerized by the variety of colors under the lamp. They looked nothing like they did in the store:

Look a little small to you too? That's okay, those are my feet and I wear a size 10 shoe and have cankles the diameter of a large zucchini but the recipient has a much smaller foot. If you look closely, you will note that the left sock has a color change near the toe. My skein had a pretty hefty color discrepancy (hand-dyed) which resulted in fraternal twin socks by color.

What are you knitting?

1 comment:

Linz said...

Yeah! She blogs, she blogs, oh baby, when she knits, she knits, going crazy! you are a great blogger, unlike me, try to keep up with it. That's where I fail miserably! Good luck.