Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Working my way through the stash

I'm getting over being pissed and bitter about Max-the-yarn-chewing dog and have resumed work on his latest yarn snack. Do you think he looks like a yarn-snacking Schnoodle?


Sweet huh? He found this masterpiece -- this lovely lovely hand painted yarn that made this lovely sock.


Then he promptly chewed it to bits -- okay, two big holes but only one is shown here.


So here's what I've done. First of all, it became painfully obvious to me that I knit the ill-fated sock obscenely too long.

I finished what would have been the second sock (but it is now the first). See? It's at a much more manageable length, too.


And in a stroke of pure luck, I dropped a note to Painted Skeins on Etsy who just happened to have a cake of the same dye-lot. It wasn't quite a skein, but it was enough for this 'ol gal to knit confidently through to the next sock. And that is exactly what I'm doing. I'm confident that I won't run out of yarn from the cake, but in case I do, I am armed with scissors to cut into Max's handiwork, boldly retrieve enough yarn to finish the job, and call these socks DONE!

I did a little something different on the toe of this pair. I didn't decrease all the way down 8 stitches. I kitchnered at somewhere around 14 stitches. The toe looks much more square, but to my eyes, it looks much more normal than some of these very pointy toes I've done in the past. 14 stitches in DK yarn is a big 'ol chunkof kitchnering. I don't know if I'll do it again as I feel as though I'm doing something wickedly unfair to the sock gods...
Here's a pic of the one completed sock, the other that's on the sticks, and the remains of the first sock that was attacked by Max.


And if you're not exhausted after trying to sort through all this, then this will help you continue on through your day. A bit of yarn p-o-r-n. This is what has arrived in the last few weeks. It keeps me motivated to knit on so I can dive into the next pair of socks. Oh how fun!!



I also knocked out an amazing amount on the project from hell over the long weekend. I'm about 2/3'rd done. WOOO HOOO!!! It isn't rocket science knitting, but it takes a few brain cells and really must be knit when the children aren't around lest I really jack it up!

1 comment:

Emma said...

Oh my gosh what a cute little schnoodle!