Friday, October 5, 2007

Why I knit

Let me tell you a little about Joyce Sue. She's my grandmama, and she's my heart. I love her to the moon and back. My little brother and I made wonderfully magic memories during visits to her north Texas home when we were kids. She's "a tough 'ol bird." She has a laugh that is beyond contagious and a sense of humor that I'm jealous as hell that I didn't inherit. Did I also mention that she's a tough 'ol bird who has lived a life that would make one hell of an entertaining novel?

Grandmama has congestive heart failure and is living nothing short of 9 lives -- even according to her own physician. There's been more moments of panic, sorrow, and tears than I can recount followed by moments of joy, celebration, and laughter at her miraculous recoveries. God must be keeping her around a bit longer so she can really do something special. God's a pretty smart 'ol gal herself!

Grandmama lives with my mom and step-dad ("Pop") in the "west wing" of their house. The west wing is a recent addition to their 1950's ranch that includes a sitting area, handicap accessible restroom, and two bedrooms. Mom cares not only for Grandmama but for her MIL, Grandma Bonnie. (Translation: jewels in Mom's crown!)

So today the boys and I loaded up and drove 1 hr. to visit Mom, Grandmama, and Grandma Bonnie. Our birthday present to Grandmama was this pair of socks:

Hitch in the gitty-up: Grandmama walks with a walker (when she's not in a wheel chair) and these socks will cause her to slip and fall if she's wearing them without with shoes. However, I knew Grandmama would love them, so I gave them to her, and while I was there, I used puffy paint to paint traction spots on the soles of them.

Grandmama was mortified at the thought of painting on handmade socks, but I knit them for her to wear not admire. I know she is thrilled knowing that she can now wear them without breaking her neck (or hip, or arm, or leg).

I took Grandmama's picture with the traction-spotted socks. She said: "I'm not photogenic at all and I don't care if I look ugly, just don't make me look dumb." I think you will agree that she looks anything BUT dumb and she's certainly radiating beauty, eh?

Did I mention that I love my grandmama to the moon and back?

This is why I knit. I don't knit for my things to sit in a drawer or closet going unused. I knit for the people I love to enjoy.

I love you Flossie!

1 comment:

Tikkunknitter said...

What a lucky grandmother. FYI: for the next pair you make for her, try Great Grip on the soles. I use them on all my felted slippers and clogs, and it works like a dream. Smoother than puff paint, but plenty of traction. I get it on eBay. Good luck to you all.